Followers

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Beauty of Imperfection



"My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness."
(2 Cor. 12:9)

***************

What do you see when you look at this dandelion? For me, the first thing I noticed was that it was imperfect.

I had gone out to the backyard one day to take some nature photos (using my macro lens, which I LOVE). I saw a dandelion in the yard. (I just discovered that these are called parachute balls.) But it wasn't whole. I wanted a beautiful, perfectly round picture of one of these parachute balls to add to my collection of photos. So, I glanced around the yard, but there were no other dandelions to be seen, and so I had to settle for this one.

The reason I chose this photo for my first blog entry is because I think the whole experience of looking for and striving for perfection is a big part of who I am, even though I know I will never achieve it. As an editor, this kind of focus is very important to what I do and what is expected of me daily in my work. It has also affected the length of time it has taken me to write this first blog and the number of times I have reread it before posting.

As a wife, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a friend ... I know I fall way short of perfection. I try to be considerate and helpful in the things that I do and the things that I say. And I think that my actions are often perceived as good and thoughtful. But I also recognize that sometimes my heart or the motivations behind my words and actions are not quite right. Sometimes I respond to others with irritation when they haven't done anything wrong. Or I react too quickly without thinking or praying about a situation. Or I spend too much time doing things that don't really matter and I forget to focus on what's really important, like spending time with my husband or adding a quiet time to my day.

Still, I believe that being aware of and recognizing my weaknesses has helped me to continue to reach up and reach out each day. Not toward perfection, but toward things like finding my purpose in life, developing more compassion for others, and feeling and acting or reacting with real love (selfless, not selfish), especially on days when others may seem "unlovable." I am definitely striving to be more than who I am right now. Not in a famous way, but in a real truth-seeking, life-living way.

Anyway, the bottom line is ... okay, here comes the surprise ... I am not nor will I ever be perfect. There ... I admitted it. But my eyes are being opened to the importance of everyday moments and how we react to them or how we change because of them. Noticing the beauty around us. Spending time really talking to someone you care about. Finding things to laugh about every day. These are the types of things I'd like to share in my blog as it develops and grows.

Speaking of growth ... I took advantage of another opportunity to photograph my dandelion parachute ball, and this time I got a little closer to the image I was looking for. Sometimes it just takes a little persistence and patience.



***************

Here are links to a couple daily devotionals that I subscribe to that also dealt with the concept of perfection and spurred me to finally write this post:

intouch.org May 1-2, 2010 Devotionals

insight.org/library/May 1, 2010

2 comments:

  1. So glad you started this. Love the dandelion.........we are all works in progress :) When I first looked at it, I thought it looked like a breeze or the wind had started carrying it's seeds off to who-knows-where. Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. The dandelion was probably just in the midst of doing what it was designed to do. But sometimes our perceptions of things like this are skewed by our own thoughts and feelings at the time or by how the world views things.

    Glad to be a work in progress. :)

    ReplyDelete